While we are not coders or programmers, Julian and I affectionately think of ourselves as “A Couple of Geeks”. We love all gadgets, computers and I have a particularly soft spot in my heart for software and ATS.
My first real encounter with Julian was actually during a National Conference in Phoenix back in our Knight Ridder Digital days (now they are McClatchy Interactive – or as we call them, “McRidder”). One of our leaders couldn’t get the projector working with her laptop in order to start the presentation. Who were the 2 people that ran up to the front of the room? Yes – you guessed it. Sparks flew the minute we began taking a look at the computer hardware and figuring out why they weren’t talking to each other. The room of people knew it too. It was a great Ah-Ha moment.
Why of course, they are both Geeks and PERFECT for each other.
Anyway – enough about us. Still coming down off the high from posting on the JobSyntax blog about the current state of Recruiting Software Engineers for the Week 2: Blog Swap – I came across this great post on The Retrospector called: Top 10 Ways to Motivate Geeks. Be sure to go to the post to read more:
1. Geeks are curious. Let them feed their desire to learn things
2. Geeks like to be self-sustaining. Let them figure things out on their own.
3. Geeks are creative even if they don’t know it. Give them a chance.
4. Geeks need tools, good ones. Give them more than they need.
5. Private, yet collaborative. Geeks need to be left alone, but not too alone.
6. Free stuff. T-shirts, food, desktop widgets, whatever.
8. Geeks need recognition
10. Compensation – Saved this for last, but geeks gotta live too